I was out on the balcony watering the plants (the dying plants, to be precise) last night when I noticed that my newest throw pillow wasn't doing so hot in its new outdoor life.
See how the bottom corner colour is all muddled looking? Not good! I am actually not entirely sure what caused it (sun bleach, water, colour-stealing gnomes etc), but it certainly wasn't fixable so I just threw the cover out. It actually kind of worked out because I had been hankering to do some sewing for a couple weeks now, but couldn't think of a good project- now I had one!
I decided to see if I could cobble something together with the fabric scraps I got from Tonic Living last December. Most of the pieces are awkward triangles or narrow strips so I decided to go with a bit of a striped look and piece together some strips. I used some heavy navy and brown fabrics, paired with a sample of Vintage Blossom in Dove (such a pretty fabric!).
There is no tutorial here...I didn't even measure or pin anything because I am lazy and like to wing sewing projects (hence why I gave up on doing real patterns). In fact, I didn't even pre-wash the fabric. I won't even show you how bad my fast hand-stitching along the side was. #bloggersecrets
However it was pretty simple- I sewed three strips together to make the front piece and three together for the back piece, and then I just sewed the two pieces together on three sides, stuffed my pillow in and stitched it closed. Very easy!
I am not sure how long this pillow will actually hold up with the weather as this chair does get some of the elements on it, but considering it was free and fun to do I don't mind replacing it if I find some nice outdoor fabric I like better!