Saturday, June 1, 2013

What's A Few Less Teeth?

Yesterday I got my wisdom teeth out! But the big surprise of the day was that I got all FOUR out, not just the bottom two. My original dental surgeon, who I did my consultation with in April, was not comfortable with the risks of removing the top ones (they were completely sideways and high up, near my nasal cavity). At the time he suggested I leave them in until I HAD to get them out due to crowding or discomfort.

However that surgeon was called out of town the weekend of my surgery, so they switched me to a new doctor. We had a brief consultation before the surgery and he said he was quite comfortable removing the top ones. I was happy to get them out (I had been feeling pressure, but I didn't know if it was all in my head!). Before I knew it I was being gassed and drugged.

I was VERY worried about nausea post-anesthesia because both my parents and brother got very ill after having it. This was actually my main concern about being put under- I can take pain, but I hate being nauseated. So the doctor agreed to put some anti-nausea drugs in my IV and they worked like a charm! Why don't they do that for everyone?

Apparently the surgery only took 45 minutes and the next thing I remember I was sitting on a bed in the recovery room, with my dad. I asked him a lot of questions repeatedly, apparently! I have no memory of getting to that room. I felt a little queasy, so I lay down for about 5 minutes with a cold compress, but after that I was feeling pretty good. We left after only 15 minutes or so, Dad drove me home and I spent the rest of the day relaxing on his bed. I couldn't really sleep, but otherwise I was feeling OK.

Update: according to Dad I was actually in the recovery room for 45 minutes to an hour- but only really "with it" for the last 15.

Today I am just really swollen. So far no bruising and the pain has been quite minimal (woohoo for drugs!!). My appetite seems good, but food choices are limited right now so that is kind of annoying. I just plan on relaxing for the next few days. I am so glad that this all went much smoother than I imagined it would. Let's hope I heal up nicely!

I shall be back later this week!


  1. I'm glad that it went well and you got all removed at once. Better than having to go back again some time. I'm jealous that you were put under. I was awake the whole time I had mine removed and it was horrible. Even though I couldn't feel anything, the sounds were bad. :::shudder:::

    I'm glad that you're feeling okay and that so far it's just swelling, not bruising. My bruises showed up a few days after the fact but they were pretty minimal. I hope your recovery time is quick!

  2. Glad to hear it all went ok! Sheila

  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.


Pin It button on image hover